Morton Plant Mease invites the community to attend free upcoming health seminars in May focusing on skin cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease and heart valve surgery options, stroke, knee pain and stress management for women.
The seminars will be presented at various Morton Plant Mease facilities and community centers around Pinellas County. To preregister for a health seminar, call 953-6877, or visit www.BayCareEvents.org. Following is a list of scheduled events:
• Skin Cancer Recognition and Prevention – Thursday, May 1, 12:30 p.m., at YMCA of the Suncoast, Teen Room, 1005 S. Highland Ave., Clearwater. Cynthia Miller, M.D., will discuss what skin cancer looks like and will offer details on how to prevent it.
• Foot Pain and Running – Monday, May 5, 6:30 p.m., at Ptak Orthopaedic and Neuroscience Pavilion, 430 Morton Plant St., Suite 114, Clearwater. Panel experts will include orthopedic surgeon Thomas Odmark, M.D.; podiatrist Theodore Couluris, M.D.; and personal trainer Brian Gillooly. This will be an open discussion about causes of foot pain from running, how to minimize pain and treatment options.
• Knee Pain: Causes and Treatment – Monday, May 5, noon, at Bardmoor Medical Arts Building, Conference Room, 8839 Bryan Dairy Road, Seminole. Orthopedic surgeon William Cottrell, M.D., will discuss the causes of knee pain, and will go over the medical and minimally-invasive surgical techniques that are used for pain relief.
• Learn More About Prostate Cancer – Friday, May 9, noon, at Bardmoor Medical Arts Building, Conference Room, 8839 Bryan Dairy Road, Seminole. Webb McCanse, M.D., will discuss screenings and treatment options for prostate cancer.
• Advances In Heart Valve Surgery – Friday, May 16, noon, at Morton Plant Hospital, Cheek-Powell Heart & Vascular Pavilion, second floor community room, 455 Pinellas St., Clearwater. Cardiothoracic surgeon Joshua Rovin, M.D., will discuss the latest technology available for heart valve surgery including the transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
• Assessing Stroke Symptoms – Wednesday, May 21, 6 p.m., at Mease Countryside Hospital, meeting rooms 1-3, 3231 McMullen Booth Road, Safety Harbor. Effective treatment for stroke starts with recognizing the symptoms and getting to a hospital quickly. Attendees will learn how to identify and assess the common symptoms and how to respond appropriately. Participants also will discover how people who have untreated obstructive sleep apnea are at risk for stroke due to several factors, including high blood pressure.
• Shoulder Pain Treatments – Wednesday, May 21, noon, at Aging Well Center at The Long Center, Grand Room, 1501 N. Belcher Road, Clearwater. Orthopedic surgeon David Thompson, M.D., will discuss treatment options for shoulder pain, including rotator cuff injuries.
• Stroke Prevention and Treatments – Wednesday, May 28, noon, at Ptak Orthopaedic and Neuroscience Pavilion, 430 Pinellas St., Suite 114, Clearwater. The panel will include neurologist Ajay Arora, M.D.; neuroradiologist Eric Lopez, M.D.; and neurosurgeon Carrie Shulman, M.D. They will host a discussion about stroke prevention and treatment options. There will be a question-and-answer session.
• Lung Cancer Physician Panel – Friday, May 30, noon, at Ptak Orthopaedic & Neuroscience Pavilion, 430 Morton Plant St., Suite 114, Clearwater. Physician experts including pulmonologist Shea Eckardt, M.D.; cardiothoracic surgeon Joshua Rovin, M.D.; and hematologist/oncologist Vijayakrishna Gadiyaram, M.D., will answer questions about lung cancer screening, detection, and treatment.
• Stress Management for Women – Saturday, May 31, 1 p.m., at Mease Countryside Hospital, meeting rooms 1-5, 3231 McMullen Booth Road, Safety Harbor. Vicki Cyr, R.N., will facilitate this unique mind/body workshop aimed to lower women’s stress levels to improve quality of life.