CLEARWATER – Health experts from Morton Plant Mease will present a number of health seminars in October focusing on addiction signs, hip replacement, sleep, diabetes and breast cancer.
The monthly seminars are free and are held at BayCare’s various Morton Plant Mease facilities and community centers around Pinellas County. To preregister for a health seminar, call 727-953-6877 or visit: www.BayCareEvents.org.
Following is a list of upcoming seminars:
• Recognizing Signs of Addiction – Wednesday, Oct. 4, noon, at Largo Public Library, Largo. Pathways Master Level Practitioner Tracy A. Daniels will discuss various addiction symptoms and behaviors, including available treatment and resource options.
• Hip Replacement Advances – Thursday, Oct. 12, noon, at Morton Plant Hospital, Cheek-Powell Heart & Vascular Pavilion, Community Room, Second Floor, 455 Pinellas St., Clearwater. Orthopedic Surgeon Andrew J. Cooper, MD, and Rehabilitation Coordinator Brian Gillooly will explain anterior hip replacement and the benefits of noninvasive navigation used during surgery.
• Sleep Changes with Age – Wednesday, Oct. 18, noon, at Aging Well Center at the Long Center, Grand Room, 1501 N. Belcher Road, Clearwater. Pulmonologist Michelle F. Zetoony, D.O., will discuss sleep changes that occur with age, what to do if they cause problems, and treatment options for sleep disorders.
• COPD 101 – Tuesday, Oct. 24, 5 to 6 p.m., at Morton Plant Hospital, Cheek-Powell Heart & Vascular Pavilion, Community Room, Second Floor, 455 Pinellas St., Clearwater. Pulmonologist Lucas Mikulic, M.D., will explain what chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is, how it’s diagnosed and available treatment options.
• Joint Pain, Arthritis and Aging – Wednesday, Oct. 25, 12:30 p.m., at North Pinellas YMCA, 4550 Village Center Drive, Palm Harbor. Rheumatologist Anjali Shetty, M.D., will discuss common types of joint pain including autoimmune disease, gout, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and how to treat them.
• Diabetes Management: It Takes a Village – Monday, Oct. 30, 10 a.m., at BayCare Medical Arts Building, 8839 Bryan Dairy Road, Largo. Certified Diabetes Educator Sheryl Ferris, RN, BSN, CDE, will discuss the role of all health care providers in helping people manage their diabetes.
• Breast Cancer Basics – Tuesday, Oct. 31, noon, at Morton Plant Hospital, Cheek Powell Heart & Vascular Pavilion, 455 Pinellas St., Clearwater. Surgical Oncologist Peter Blumencranz, M.D., will discuss what you need to know about breast cancer, including signs, symptoms and risk factors.