SAFETY HARBOR - Safety Harbor Museum & Cultural Center released its schedule of February 2013 events.
Safety Harbor Middle School Scholars presents: Turning Points in History, opening Friday, Feb. 15, 6 to 10 p.m. at the Safety Harbor Museum and Cultural Center. The day marks the Safety Harbor Middle School Scholars National History Day Research featuring exhibits, documentaries, performances and more. The exhibit will be on display for three weeks
- Cartooning and Drawing Workshop is Saturday, Feb. 16, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Cartooning and Drawing focuses on rudimentary skills such as sketching, figure drawing, learning how to create proper perspective, charcoal pencil and inking techniques, and more. The cost is $25 for residents and $37.50 for non-residents.
- Zen Brush Art Meditation with Music and Tea is offered Tuesdays, Feb. 19 and 26, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Zen brush art is a new form of meditation, the focus of the workshop is for students to align their breath with the present moment. The cost is $10 for residents and $15 for non-residents. There’s an additional $10 material fee.
- Beginning Digital Photography is offered Tuesdays, 6 to 8 p.m. This photography basics class focuses on developing your composition, shutter speed, aperture and ISO. The cost for a six-week session is $60 for residents and $90 for non-residents.
- Introduction to Landscape Watercolor Painting is Tuesdays 1 to 4 p.m. Learn the basics in painting with watercolor paints and create a landscape painting from a photograph of your choice. Each class will begin with a mini-lecture covering pencil sketching and painting basics, a mini-demo covering watercolor techniques and a maxi-watercolor painting experience including personalized one-on-one instruction suited to each student’s experience level. Composition and design will also be discussed. Evening classes will begin in February; contact the Cultural Center for details.
- Painting with Oils & Acrylics is offered Wednesdays, 6 to 8 p.m. From beginners to professional, this class will teach individuals how to come in to their own style. Materials are supplied for the first class, and a materials list will be distributed thereafter. The cost of the six-week session is $75 for residents and $112.50 for non-residents. Additional material fees apply.
- Writing Funny is Wednesdays, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. This class is for people who want to write satire, non-fiction vignettes, true-story columns, amusing memoirs, or for people who would just like to write in a more engaging manner. This class will teach people who say funny stuff to write funny stuff. There will be some discussion about how to get your work out there and how to find the right audience. Classes begin in February; contact the Cultural Center for details. The cost for a six-week session is $60 for residents and $90 for non-residents.
- Woodcarving: Master whittling is scheduled on Fridays, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Learn all the phases of woodcarving including relief, in the round, and chip carving. What a great chance to let your creative energies flow. Cost for a six-week session is $42 for residents and $63 for non-residents, drop-in rates are available. Additional material fees vary and will be paid directly to the instructor
- Glass Enamel Beadmaking is taught by enamellist Joseph Spencer from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This workshop is designed to introduce participants to the fine art of glass enamel beadmaking. Students can expect to make 50 beads during this session. Contact instructor at (727)-599-7806 to request dates.
The Museum and Cultural Center is located at 329 Bayshore Blvd. S., Safety Harbor. Call 727-724-1562 or visit www.SafetyHarborCulture.com.