A re-enactor chats with visitors at the 2013 History Comes Alive event at the Dunedin Cemetery.
DUNEDIN – The seventh annual History Comes Alive is Saturday, March 8, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Dunedin Cemetery, 2400 Keene Road.
Seven actors will portray historic figures buried at the cemetery.
“The list of individuals that come alive for that day include Chief Houghton who was fire chief when the new 1923 LaFrance Fire Truck arrived at the Atlantic Coast Line railroad station in Dunedin; William Smith, a soldier from Dunedin who was stationed at Fort Brooke, and Fort Harrison during the Seminole Indian Wars; Robert and Persis McDougal, residents of Victoria Drive; Grace Nigels, one of the area’s first teachers; Fred Emerson, early pioneer and one of Dunedin’s first residents to play the new game of baseball, and the special guest of the day “The Witch of Dunedin,” Captain Kate, according to a news release from the Dunedin Historical Museum.
Visitors can sit and chat with these individuals. They will be shown photos, family scrapbooks and historical artifacts that were used in their lifetime.
This year, other activities have been added for individuals to enjoy such as the Dunedin Fire Department’s original 1923 LaFrance Fire Truck, celebrating the fire departments 100th anniversary, a soldier’s campsite from the Seminole Indian War, a recreated vintage Boy and Girl Scout campsites, an area to try on reproduction vintage clothing and regular scheduled half-hour tours of the entire cemetery which includes stops at various historic gravesites, and a stone rubbing demonstration.
Refreshments and tour maps will be available at the main entrance of the cemetery. Members of the Dunedin Historical Museum who bring their membership cards are free, other visitors are requested to pay a $4 donation to help the museum.
This year’s celebration is dedicated to Dunedin’s fallen soldier Zack Shannon, who was killed in action last year and is buried at the Dunedin Cemetery.
Other museum activities include the Stirling exhibit, featuring memorabilia commemorating the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, will be open in the museum until April.
The Dunedin Historical Museum is at 349 Main St. Call 736-1176.