Tampa Bay area venues, both large and small, will welcome a diverse selection of musical artists in the coming weeks.
Taste of Pinellas 2014 will bring an updated combination of local food, celebrity headliners, phenomenal music and family fun to an all-new venue.
The event will take place on Friday and Saturday, May 9-10, in downtown St. Petersburg’s beautiful Albert Whitted Park, 480 Bayshore Drive SE, St. Petersburg.
General admission tickets are $22.50 per person in advance or $25 at the gate. Children 11 and younger will be admitted free when accompanied by an adult. Proceeds will benefit All Children’s Hospital. Call 800-745-3000 or visit www.ticketmaster.com.
The gates will open at 3:30 p.m. on Friday and 3 p.m. on Saturday. In addition to some of Tampa Bay’s top regional bands, the 2014 musical headliners will feature Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo, Bruce Hornsby and The Noisemakers and Loverboy on Friday; and the Blues Brothers – starring Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi – as well as KC & the Sunshine Band on Saturday.
Produced by Bill Edwards Presents Inc., the 2014 festival will also feature a selection of the area’s favorite restaurants serving tastes of their most sought-after dishes and signature creations. There also will be fireworks, a free “Family Fun Zone” at the Mahaffey Plaza and other family-friendly activities.
The 33rd annual WMNF Tropical Heatwave will be Friday and Saturday, May 9 and 10.
Weekend pass wristbands cost $40 in advance and $50 at the gate. Call 813-238-8001 or visit www.wmnf.org/heatwave.
Tropical Heatwave has become an annual rite of spring for fans of eclectic music. This year, the festival layout is changing: The old courtyards at The Cuban Club and El Pasaje Plaza have been replaced with one big courtyard … the Cuban Club main stage. The main stage will showcase top bands on both nights.
The festival will kick off Friday evening with three stages in and around the Cuban Club and New World Brewery. On Saturday, the festival will spread from the Cuban Club area to include new venues on or near Ybor City’s main drag, Seventh Avenue. These new venues include Crowbar, Carmine’s Courtyard, the Market on 7th, and the Orpheum.
The festival will include performances by artists such as Victor Wainwright and the Wild Roots,
Hayes Carll, The Hold Steady, Katchafire, Joseph Arthur, Beartoe, Chris and Willie, Bright Light, Social Hour, David Mayfield Parade, Black Taxi, The Main Squeeze, Elephant Stone, Afeefa and The Boy, WAHH World Fusion Band, Mighty, Good, & Strong Band, The Tattered Saints, Big Blu House, Sol Caribe, Rocket 88, Amandla Tunesmith, Dropin Pickup, The Applebutter Express and many more.
Bud Select will present the 97X BBQ featuring Bastille, The 1975 and Sleeper Agent on Saturday, May 17, at Vinoy Park, 500 Bay Shore Drive NE, St. Petersburg.
Gates will open at 11 a.m. The 97X BBQ is a free show with tickets available at Ticket Drop locations beginning April 11. For information on Ticket Drops, visit www.97xonline.com/s/2014-bbq. General admission tickets also may be purchased. Cost is $20. Visit www.ticketmaster.com.
Fiesta Maxima featuring Don Omar and Prince Royce will take place Saturday, May 17, 8:30 p.m., at the Sun Dome, on the USF Tampa Campus, 4202 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa.
Tickets start at $24.25. Call 813-974-3004.
In its third year running, Fiesta Máxima will showcase Latin superstars Don Omar and Prince Royce as they join forces to bring their greatest hits to Tampa.
From Puerto Rico, multi-platinum recording artist Don Omar continues to produce hit after hit with his albums including “The Last Don,” which earned him Latin Pop Album of the Year and Latin Rap/Hip Hop Album of the Year by Billboard Magazine in 2003; “King of Kings,” which debuted at No. 1 on the Latin sales charts; and most recently, “Don Omar Presents MTO2: The New Generation,” which won him Best Urban Music Album at the 2012 Latin Grammy Awards.
Prince Royce, of Dominican descent, will entertain fans at Fiesta Máxima with his ability to combine romantic words with the rhythm of bachata.
Through his collaborations with artists such as Maná, Daddy Yankee, Thalía, and others, Royce has earned nominations and awards at the most prestigious of award shows, including The Latin Grammy Awards, Premio Lo Nuestro, MTV Video Music Awards, Premios Juventud, and Billboard’s Latin Music Awards.
• Boz Scaggs, Tuesday, April 29, 7:30 p.m. • The Mavericks, Wednesday, April 30, 8 p.m. • The Mavericks, Friday, May 2, 8 p.m. • Amy Grant, Saturday, May 3, 7:30 p.m. • Zucchero, Sunday, May 4, 7 p.m. • The Fab Four, Saturday, May 10, 8 p.m. • Ana Popovic, Thursday, May 15, 7:30 p.m. • Lucinda Williams, Saturday, May 24, 8 p.m.
Capitol Theatre is at 405 Cleveland St., Clearwater. Call 791-7400 or visit www.atthecap.com.
Hard Rock Café Tampa
• REO Speedwagon, Sunday, May 25, 9 p.m.
Hard Rock Café Tampa is at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, 5223 N. Orient Road, Tampa. Call 813-627-6649 or visit www.seminolehardrocktampa.com.
• Dropkick Murphys, Monday, May 5, 6:30 p.m. • The Wanted, Sunday, May 11, 7 p.m. • Old Crow Medicine Show, Friday, May 23, 8 p.m.
Jannus Live is at 16 Second St. N., St. Petersburg. Call 565-0550 or visit www.jannuslive.com.
Largo Cultural Center
• The Winery Dogs, Thursday, May 15, 7:30 p.m.
Largo Cultural Center is at 105 Central Park Drive, Largo. Call 587-6793 or visit largoarts.com.
The Local 662
• The London Souls, Wednesday, April 30, 7 p.m. • Adrenaline Mob, Thursday, May 1, 7 p.m. • Houndmouth, Tuesday, May 6, 8 p.m. • Rising Appalachia, Thursday, May 8, 8 p.m. • Wolf Gang, Saturday, May 17, 7 p.m.
The Local 662 is at 662 Central Ave., St. Petersburg. Call 258-4829.
• The Florida Orchestra: The Music of the Eagles; Friday, May 9, 8 p.m. • Gipsy Kings, Wednesday, May 14, 7:30 p.m. • The Florida Orchestra: Tchaikovsky’s Pathetique; Saturday, May 17, 8 p.m. • The Florida Orchestra: Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5; Thursday, May 22, 11 a.m. • The Florida Orchestra: A Stars & Stripes Hit Parade; Saturday, May 24, 8 p.m. • Morrissey, Friday, May 30, 8:15 p.m. • The Florida Orchestra: Ravel’s Daphnis et Chloe; Saturday, May 31, 8 p.m.
The Mahaffey is at 400 First St. S., St. Petersburg. Call 892-5767 or visit www.themahaffey.com.
Mid Florida Credit Union Amphitheatre
• Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Thursday, May 1, 7:30 p.m. • Big Guava Festival Day 1, Friday, May 2, 4 p.m. • Big Guava Festival Day 2, Saturday, May 3, 11:30 a.m. • Big Guava Festival Day 3, Sunday, May 4, 11:30 a.m. • Lady Antebellum, Saturday, May 17, 7 p.m. • Zac Brown Band, Thursday, May 29, 7 p.m.
The Amphitheatre is at the Florida State Fairgrounds, 4802 U.S. 301 N., Tampa. Call 813-740-2446 or visit www.livenation.com.
The Palladium at St. Petersburg College
• Rhapsody on Fifth featuring Wycliffe Gordon, Wednesday, May 7, 7 p.m. • Stolen Idols, Sunday, May 18, 7 p.m. • Lisa Casalino, Thursday, May 22, 7:30 p.m. • Les Sabler, Friday, May 23, 8 p.m. • Lauren Mitchell Band, Saturday, May 24, 8 p.m.
The Palladium at St. Petersburg College is at 253 Fifth Ave. N., St. Petersburg. Call 822-3590 or visit www.mypalladium.org.
The Ritz Ybor
Black Label Society, Tuesday, April 29, 8 p.m. • Mogwai, Wednesday, April 30, 7:30 p.m. • Toadies, Thursday, May 15, 7 p.m. • Kid Ink, Wednesday, May 21, 9 p.m. • Neon Trees, Wednesday, May 28, 8 p.m.
The Ritz Ybor is at 1503 E. Seventh Ave., Tampa. Call 813-247-2518.
Ruth Eckerd Hall
• Santana, Tuesday, April 29, 8 p.m. • Brit Floyd, Saturday, May 3, 8 p.m. • The Doobie Brothers, Sunday, May 4, 7:30 p.m. • Gladys Knight, Thursday, May 15, 8 p.m. • The Florida Orchestra: Tchaikovsky’s Pathetique; Sunday, May 18, 7:30 p.m. • Foreigner, Styx and Don Felder; Tuesday, May 20, 7 p.m. • The Florida Orchestra: A Stars & Stripes Hit Parade; Sunday, May 25, 7:30 p.m.
• Caroline Kole, Friday, May 2, 8 p.m. • The Mud Flappers, Saturday, May 3, 8 p.m. • T-Bird and the Breaks, Tuesday, May 6, 7 p.m. • Legendary JC’s, Friday, May 9, 8 p.m. • Cigar City Blues Band, Tuesday, May 13, 7 p.m. • Red Elvises, Saturday, May 17, 8 p.m. • The Heavy Pets, Saturday, May 24, 8 p.m.
• Chiodos, Friday, April 25, 6:30 p.m. • Iced Earth, Saturday, April 26, 6 p.m. • Dance Gavin Dance, Sunday, April 27, 6:30 p.m. • Powerman 5000, Wednesday, April 30, 7 p.m. • M. Ward, Thursday, May 1, 7:30 p.m. • Dick Dale, Friday, May 2, 7 p.m. • Christina Perri, Saturday, May 3, 9 p.m. • You Me At Six, Friday, May 9, 7 p.m. • Team Cybergeist, Saturday, May 10, 7 p.m. • The Aquabats, Friday, May 16, 6 p.m. • Ingrid Michaelson, Sunday, May 18, 7:30 p.m. • Uh Huh Her, Sunday, May 25, 8 p.m.
• The Florida Orchestra: Tan Dun’s Water Concerto; Friday, April 25, 8 p.m., in Ferguson Hall • Tampa Bay Symphony, Sunday, April 27, 4 p.m., in Ferguson Hall • Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan, Sunday, May 4, 6 p.m. • Il Divo, Friday, May 9, 8 p.m. • The Florida Orchestra: Tchaikovsky’s Pathetique; Friday, May 16, 8 p.m., in Ferguson Hall • The Florida Orchestra: A Stars & Stripes Hit Parade; Friday, May 23, 8 p.m., in Ferguson Hall • The Florida Orchestra: Ravel’s Daphnis et Chloe; Friday, May 30, 8 p.m., in Ferguson Hall
The David A Straz Jr. Center – formerly the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center – is at 1010 N. W.C. MacInnes Place, Tampa. Call 813-229-7827 or visit www.strazcenter.org.
Tampa Bay Times Forum
• R. Kelly and Tamar Braxton, Thursday, May 1, 8 p.m.