St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and preparations are under way to celebrate the holiday all around Pinellas.
One of the favorite activities is the playing of a good Irish tune. This year songs from the Green Isle will be heard throughout the county.
Brendan Nolan celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Irish music and songs on Wednesday, March 16, 7 p.m., at the Tarpon Springs Public Library, 138 E. Lemon St., Tarpon Springs. Nolan will provide a free live performance appropriate for all ages. This event is sponsored by the Friends of the Tarpon Springs Public Library. Nolan was born and raised near Dublin, Ireland. He began his musical career in the 1970s when he moved to Canada. Call 943-4922 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Four Celtic Voices performs Thursday, March 17, 3 and 7 p.m., at the Largo Cultural Center, 105 Central Park Drive, Largo. Call 587-6793 or visit largoarts.com" target="_blank">www.largoarts.com. With vocals, harp, flute, bowed psaltery, harmonium, bass and drums, Four Celtic Voices performs a mix of Celtic traditionals and contemporary Celtic originals, from “Danny Boy” and “Molly Malone” to original psaltery dances and the dream-like Celtic pop of “Angels.” The group’s 2009 album “Four Clover” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard World Music Chart, in the Top 10 on multiple Heatseekers charts and in the Top 40 on the Independent chart. Tickets are $25 in advance and $28 at the door. Call 587-6793 or visit largoarts.com.
The Irish Stew comes to Skipper’s Smokehouse, 910 Skipper Road, Tampa, on Friday, March 18, 8 p.m. The Irish Stew show will feature Empty Hats, Celticopia, Irish crooner Jim Hancock and the Celtic duo The New Minstrel Revue. Tickets are $10 in advance or $13 the day of the show. Call 813-971-0666 or visit www.skipperssmokehouse.com.
Special Irish celebrations
Yvonne McMorrough will present the program The Three Major Saints of Ireland: Patrick, Bridgit and Malachi, on Tuesday, March 15, 7 p.m., at the Dunedin Public Library, 223 Douglas Ave., Dunedin. Attendees may arrive at 6:30 p.m. to see a 10-minute play on the potato famine that took first place in the Dunedin Highlands Middle School National History Day competition. Call 298-3080.
As part of the Ripping Yarns program, the book “The Kerry Mermaid/The Corncrake” by Sean O’Casey will be presented March 17, 12:10 p.m., at Seminole Community Library, 9200 113th St. N., Seminole. Call 394-6905.
The St. Patrick’s Day Limericks and Lollipops Celebration will take place Thursday, March 17, 3:30 p.m., at the Clearwater Library System’s North Greenwood Branch, 905 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., Clearwater. Designed for children in grades four to six, the event will feature the reading of limericks and green snacks. Attendees will learn to create their own limericks. Registration is required. Call 562-4970.
More celebrations around Pinellas
• The 50th anniversary St. Patrick’s Day Celebration, Thursday, March 17, 11 a.m., at O’Keefe’s Family Tavern and Grill, 1219 S. Fort Harrison Ave. Live entertainment will include performances by Hooligans, Lucid Druid and 4 Star Riot. Part of a three-day celebration, the festivities also will feature bagpipers, drummers, Irish dancers, green beer and corned beef and cabbage. Call 442-9034 or visit www.okeefestavernonline.com.
• Tommy Duff’s Events will present its St. Patrick’s Day Tent Party, Thursday, March 17, at Clear Sky Beachside Cafe, 490 Mandalay Ave. The celebration will feature entertainment by Red X. The World’s Shortest St. Patrick’s Day Parade will take place at 5:05 p.m. and will be led by Grand Piper Sgt. John and Grand Marshal Gary O’Gray.
• The 50th anniversary St. Patrick’s Day Celebration, Friday, March 18, 4 p.m., at O’Keefe’s Family Tavern and Grill, 1219 S. Fort Harrison Ave. Live entertainment will include performances by Irish Buskers and Seven Nations. Part of a three-day celebration, the festivities also will feature bagpipers, drummers, Irish dancers, green beer and corned beef and cabbage. Call 442-9034 or visit www.okeefestavernonline.com.
• The 50th anniversary St. Patrick’s Day Celebration, Saturday, March 19, 4 p.m., at O’Keefe’s Family Tavern and Grill, 1219 S. Fort Harrison Ave. Live entertainment will include performances by Irish Buskers and The Big Brother Band. Part of a three-day celebration, the festivities also will feature bagpipers, drummers, Irish dancers, green beer and corned beef and cabbage. Call 442-9034 or visit www.okeefestavernonline.com.
• The St. Patrick’s Day Street Festival, Thursday, March 17, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., at Flanagan's Irish Pub, 465 Main St. This festival will include live Irish music from several musicians, the Dunedin Pipe Band, Irish Step Dancers, traditional Irish food, face painting, and activities for all ages. For information, visit www.flanagansirishpub.net.
• American Legion Auxiliary serves St. Patty's Day Corned Beef and Cabbage with bread and Dessert, Thursday, March 17, 1 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. Enjoy corned beef and bingo, followed by corned beef at music by Jimmy Griswald at 6 p.m. Saturday, the auxiliary will begin serving at noon and continue until the corned beef is gone. Cost is a donation of $6. All proceeds to Benefit ALA Sponsored Programs. The legion hall is at 360 Wilson St. Dunedin.
• St. Patrick’s Day Celebration, Thursday, March 17, 1 to 10 p.m., at The Pub, 20025 Gulf Blvd. The celebration will feature live music along with green beer, corned beef and cabbage, Reubens and Irish stew. Call 595-3172.
• The inaugural St. Patrick’s Day Party, Thursday through Saturday, March 17-19, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at O’Shy’s Irish Tap House, 80 S. Clearwater-Largo Road. The party will feature live entertainment, drink specials, Irish dancers, bagpipers and fiddlers and standup Irish comedy. Call 588-4444.
• Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, Thursday, March 17, 11 a.m., at O’Houston’s, 518 West Bay Drive. The party will feature dancers, fiddlers, bagpipers, Jell-O shots, contests and beer as well as smoked corned beef provided by Smokin’ Rib Shack BBQ. Call 584-7772.
The West Coast Irish Club will host its St. Patrick's Dance on Friday, March 11, at the Fraternal Order of Police, 550 Commerce Drive, Largo. Music will be provided by Tommy Goodwin and Sharon McKenna. For information and tickets, call 725-1283 or 526-2811.
For more St. Patrick’s Day fun, visit the Live Music Calendar.