CLEARWATER - West Coast Players announces the fifth annual One Act Plays Festival scheduled on July 11-13 and 18-20.
West Coast Players extends an invitation to novice, emerging or accomplished playwrights to submit one-act plays to be performed during the festival. Scripts are being solicited with the following criteria.
• One Act plays to be performed in 15 minutes or less.
• No large casts, six characters or less preferred.
• Original plays only, no adaptations.
• Not previously staged within 75 miles of the Tampa Bay area.
• Minimal staging, set, props, costumes, tech support, etc. We use a black set with entrances at stage left and stage right and possibly center stage.
• Blatant adult themes/language will only be considered if the play reading committee considers it to vital to the plot.
• WCP’s audiences prefer comedies preferred although serious dramas will be considered.
A playwright may submit up to three scripts. The play reading committee will select eight to 10 plays to be performed. To be considered, plays must be received by Rick Kastel, the producer, no later than April 12.
New this year, all plays must be submitted electronically. Prepare either a PDF or MS Word document and email one copy only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your complete postal mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address. Submitters will be notified of the selection process by email only within two weeks after the deadline. Plays mailed to WCP’s post office box will not be considered. For more information, email email@example.com.
A $5 entry fee, per play, must be mailed to West Coast Players, Attn: One Act Plays Festival Producer, P.O. Box 5022, Clearwater, FL 33758-5022. No scripts will be considered without this fee. The majority of the collected funds will awarded to the three playwrights whose scripts are voted as favorites by the attending audiences.
Since play will be submitted via email, the producer will forward them to you to read. A meeting is scheduled at the theatre on Saturday, April 19, 10 a.m. to discuss and select plays.
Directors will meet at the theatre on Saturday, April 26, at a.m. All selected scripts will be there to read. Directors will decide which ones they would like to direct that day.
Auditions will be Sunday, May 4, and Monday, May 5, at the theatre. Doors open at 6 p.m. to register, auditions begin promptly at 7 p.m. Directors will cast their plays and all attending will be notified no later than Friday, May 9.
Set builders, painters and techs
Building will begin on a very simple black box set Sunday, June 29. Tech week runs Sunday, July 6-10.