SAFETY HARBOR – The Safety Harbor Recreation Department has a number of fun, fall activities set for October, including the following:
• Safety Harbor Recreation offers Go Fish! A family fun fishing day Saturday, Oct. 19, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., at the Safety Harbor Marina, 110 Veterans Memorial Lane. This educational day of fishing fun and top tips from around the Tampa Bay area is suggested for people ages 5 to 17. The event is free. Call 724-1545.
• Highland Dance – Highland dancing is a healthy workout for adults and children. It’s a great way to develop coordination, posture and overall muscle tone, along with aerobic capacity and strength. Dancers will learn the basics of Highland dance, including the Highland fling and sword dance with instructor Elizabeth Constantine. Cost is $40 for Safety Harbor residents or $60 for nonresidents. The classes are at the Safety Harbor Community Center, 650 Ninth Ave. S., and classes are on Wednesdays. Age and level groups are as follows: ages 4 to 6, 5:30 to 6 p.m.; ages 7 to 14, 6 to 6:45 p.m.; ages 7 to 14 beginner level II, 7 to 8 p.m. Call 724-1530.
• Teen Service Club – This club needs you … and a name. It’s up to the teens to name it. The club will meet regularly to perform charitable work. The teens will decide how to do the work, whether it’s raising money, collecting toys or hands-on fun. The club will count toward Bright Futures hours. The group will meet the second Wednesday of the month at the Rigsby Recreation Center, 605 Second St. N., and project dates will vary. Cost is $15 for Safety Harbor residents or $22.50 for nonresidents. Call 724-1545.
• Teen Advisory Board – The Teen Advisory Board is for students who want to develop their leadership and teamwork skills in a fun environment. Members will be the voice of the teens in Safety Harbor and will have the chance to volunteer at city events, organize teen socials and create new programs. For details, call Donna at 724-1545, ext. 1155, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A T-shirt is included in the registration fee. Cost is $15 for Safety Harbor residents or $22.50 for nonresidents. The group meets the first Wednesday of the month at the Rigsby Recreation Center, 605 Second St. N. Call 724-1545.
• Youth flag football registration – The league is designed for both girls and boys, and the emphasis is on learning the game and having fun. Safety Harbor teams will challenge other local cities. One or two night practices will take place at Dunedin High School or Middle School. Saturday games also take place at the high school. Volunteer coaches and team sponsors are needed. Payment is due at time or registration. No phone registrations will be accepted. Participants must be league age as of Jan. 1, 2014. Mandatory draft days are Saturday, Nov. 30 or Dec. 7 at Safety Harbor City Park, 940 Seventh St. S. Draft times are as follows: ages 7 to 9, 9 a.m.; ages 10 to 12, 10 a.m.; ages 13 to 15, 11 a.m. Call 724-1530.
• Youth basketball registration – Participants must be league-age as of Jan. 1, 2014, and they must attend one of the draft days. Cost is $80 for Safety Harbor residents, and nonresidents must purchase a recreation card. Mandatory draft days are Saturday, Nov. 2 or Nov. 9 at the Community Center, 659 Ninth Ave. S. Draft times are the following: ages 9 to 10, 9 a.m.; ages 11 to 13, 10 a.m.; ages 14 to 17, 11 a.m. Call 724-1530.