Wyatt Bradford of St. Petersburg poses with his best friends and Santa Paws during the 2012 Pinellas Paws Cause Holiday Celebration. Photos by Ron Grecco Photography are available for a $5 donation.
LARGO - Pinellas County Animal Services will celebrate the holidays with the Pinellas Paws Cause festivities on Saturday, Dec. 7, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Proceeds from the pet-friendly event support the Animal Welfare Trust Fund. Organizers say the event “will keep tails wagging” with entertainment, demonstrations, vendors, food and more.
• Pets and owners can get their picture taken with Santa Paws for $5 from 10 to 1:30 p.m. in the lobby of the shelter. Photographer Ron Grecco will donate the proceeds to the Animal Welfare Trust Fund.
• New this year, silent auction bidding on vendor prizes and donated items begins at 10 a.m. The bidding will close at 1 p.m.
• Pet parade through Florida Botanical Gardens, led by Captain Barky begins at 11 a.m. Free registration for the costume contest begins at 10:30 a.m. Rescue dogs will join the jaunt and secret judges will award prizes for best and cutest costumes. Each pet will receive a doggy bag for participating.
• Sheriff Deputy Robert Cahoon of the Pinellas County Sheriff’s K-9 Unit will offer demonstrations at 12:30 p.m.
• Pet portraits painted on the Pinellas Paws Cause Mural at Animal Services by Anne Fields of Murals for Mutts. A special event price of $75, with $25 donated to shelter animals through the Animal Welfare Trust Fund.
• Free raffle drawings will be available throughout the day.
The event is sure to bring joy to every shelter dog and cat that is adopted. SPCA Tampa Bay, the Humane Society of Pinellas, Pet Pal, community pet partners and dozens of rescue groups, will have their dogs and cats available for adoption.
Animal Services will offer adoption specials, which include spay/neuter, immunizations and a county license. Gift baskets are also being prepared as a special gift to each family who adopts a shelter pet at the holiday event while supplies last.
The Animal Welfare Trust Fund directly benefits shelter pets by providing creature comforts such as toys, kennels that are more comfortable and specialized food.
Pinellas County Animal Services is located at 12450 Ulmerton Road in Largo. Normal hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., with the adoption center closing at 5:30 p.m. Saturday hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and services include adoptions. Rabies vaccinations are administered on Thursdays from 1 to 4 p.m. The facility is closed all Pinellas County holidays.
For information on how to adopt, donate or volunteer, join Pinellas County Animal Services on Facebook. To learn more about the shelter, visit www.pinellascounty.org/animalservices, or call 582-2600. The hotline for lost or found pets is 582-2604.