Graphic courtesy of PINELLAS COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS
Captain Barky debuts at Pinellas Paws Cause.
LARGO – Capt. Barky makes his debut at the second annual Pinellas Paws Cause Holiday Celebration Saturday, Dec. 8, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Animal Services, 12450 Ulmerton Road in Largo.
The Animal Services festivities feature Radio Disney, photos with Santa Paws, face painting, dogs on stage and more. Highlights include:
• Capt. Barky, the new ambassador of Pinellas County Animal Services, making his debut at the event as he begins his hunt for loving families who can give dogs and cats a home.
• The SPCA Tampa Bay, Humane Society of Pinellas and more than 14 rescue groups with adoption dogs and information.
• “Dogs On-Stage,” spotlighting adoptable shelter pets showing their beauty.
• Music by Radio Disney, children’s face painting, a demonstration with K-9 Officer Bobby Cahoon at noon, dog washes, obedience dog training and free drawings.
• Food trucks, including Chef Michael’s food truck for dogs.
• Anna Hamilton painting pre-ordered pet portraits as part of the Pinellas Paws Cause mural in the lobby of Animal Services. The normal price of each portrait is $100, with $25 donated to the Animal Welfare Trust Fund. Any portraits that are pre-ordered and painted during the holiday event will be for a special event price of $75, with $25 donated to the trust fund. Pre-orders must be received by Friday, Dec. 7. Gift certificates for pet portraits also will be available the day of the event for the $75 special event price. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902-1671.
• Photos with Santa Paws, a perennial favorite, for $5 a photo by photographer Ron Grecco. Pets and families of pets are welcome. All proceeds will be donated to the Pinellas Paws Cause.
• More than 50 vendors with crafts and specialty pet-themed items, pet services and animal-related products. Florida Blood Services will be on site for those whose generosity extends to humans. Anyone who donates blood will receive a free microchip for their pet.
• Special price of $5 rabies shots and a $20 adoption. Anyone who adopts a dog or cat on this day also will receive a free gift basket to take home with their new furry friend. All dogs and cats that are offered for adoption are spayed or neutered and have been vaccinated. Licenses are $20.
Free training classes are offered once a month for adopted dogs at Animal Services.
All proceeds from Pinellas Paws Cause benefits the Animal Welfare Trust Fund, which goes directly to the animals in the adoption center, providing direct-care items such as medicine, specialty dietary food and comfort toys. These items enhance the animals’ physical and emotional well-being, which increases their chances for a successful adoption.