As of 5 p.m. Tuesday, Tropical Storm Cindy was about 280 miles south of Morgan City, Louisiana and 360 miles southeast of Galveston, Texas.
Tropical Storm Cindy is expected to move inland over the coast of southwest Louisiana or southeast Texas late Wednesday and Wednesday night and then move inland over southeastern Texas on Thursday.
As of 5 p.m. Tuesday, the storm was about 280 miles south of Morgan City, Louisiana and 360 miles southeast of Galveston, Texas. Maximum sustained winds were 45 mph.
Although, Cindy has been stationary for several hours, the National Hurricane Center expects the storm to begin moving to the northwest sometime tonight and before turning to the north-northwest and then north on Wednesday and early Thursday.
A tropical storm warning is in effect for San Luis Pass to the mouth of the Pearl River. NHC advises everyone along the U.S. Gulf Coast from the central Texas coast to the western Florida Panhandle to keep an eye on this storm.
Cindy could produce rain accumulations of 6 to 9 inches with isolated maximum amounts of 12 inches over southeastern Louisiana, southern Mississippi, southern Alabama and the Florida Panhandle through Thursday. Flash flooding is possible. Rainfall amounts of 3 to 5 inches with isolated maximum amounts of 6 inches can be expected farther west across southwest Louisiana into southeast Texas through Thursday.
Tropical storm conditions are expected to reach the coast within the warning area later today and spread westward within the warning area through early Thursday. Storm surge of 1 to 3 feet above ground level is possible along the coast in the warning area, and isolated tornadoes are possible this evening and tonight from south-central Louisiana to the western Florida Panhandle.
NHC issued its last advisory on Tropical Storm Bret Tuesday afternoon. Bret, which formed Monday afternoon about 125 miles southeast of Trinidad, has dissipated into a tropical wave.
Potential for a busy season
The Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 45 percent chance that the 2017 hurricane season will have above-normal activity, a 35 percent chance of near-normal activity and a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.
The seasonal Outlook calls for a 70 percent likelihood that 11-17 named storms will form this year with five-nine strengthening into hurricanes and two-four strengthening into a major hurricane.†An average season has 12 named storms with six hurricanes and three major hurricanes.
The first storm of the season, Tropical Storm Arlene, formed over the eastern Atlantic in April.
Pinellas County Emergency Management officials are urging residents to prepare now with special attention being given to evacuation zones and storm surge models, which have changed.
Officials announced June 1 that 85,193 parcels have changed evacuation levels. Of that number, 74,688 parcels changed to a lower level, 10,505 changed to a higher level, and 19,882 changed from a non-evacuation zone to an evacuation zone.
Storm surge models also were updated. Homes in an E evacuation zone now have the risk of experiencing storm surge up to 35 feet, D zone up to 28 feet, C zone up to 20 feet, B zone up to 15 feet, and an A zone up to 15 feet.