SEMINOLE - Tampa Bay Newspapers won 12 awards in the Florida Press Association’s 2012 Better Weekly Newspaper Contest, including five first-place awards.
“I’m proud of our strong showing in this highly competitive contest,” Tampa Bay Newspapers’ Executive Editor Tom Germond said. “Knowing that journalism professors, who judge the contest, recognize our photos, stories and other work through the awards is a reflection of all our employees’ hard work and dedication. They are committed to producing great community newspapers.”
A total of 1,641 entries were submitted in the contest. Sixty-four newspapers competed for first, second and third place awards.
This year marks the first time in Tampa Bay Newspapers’ history that the company has won five first-place awards in the contest.
Awards presented to TBN are:
• First place: Front page makeup, Seminole Beach-Beacon, Bob McClure.
• First place: Faith and family reporting, Clearwater Beacon, Alexandra Lundahl, “Kids find their forever homes on Adoption Day.”
• First place: Faith and family reporting, Belleair Bee, Alexandra Lundahl, “Military moms.”
• First place: Special issue, section or supplement, Belleair Bee, staff, “Summer Lifesyles.”
• First place: Feature photo, Largo Leader, Tom Germond, “Rooftop Dining.”
• Second place: Sports feature story, Clearwater Beacon, Brian Goff, “Clearwater little brother makes it big.”
• Second place: Special issue, section or supplement, Belleair Bee, staff, “Just 4 Women.”
• Second place: Feature story, non-profile, Clearwater Beacon, Alexandra Lundahl, “New facility for homeless vets of current wars.”
• Third place: Breaking news story, Pinellas Park Beacon, Juliana A. Torres, “Plots for terror in Tampa.”
• Third place: Outdoor and recreation, Pinellas Park Beacon, Juliana A. Torres, “Fab 50: Middle age women tackle 13.1 miles.”
• Third place: Spot news photo, Bob McClure, “Oops.”
• Third place: Humorous column, Belleair Bee, Tom Germond, “Two scales are better than one.”
The awards were presented July 18 at the JW Marriot Grand Lakes hotel in Orlando.