Pinellas County Property Appraiser Pam Dubov reminds permanent residents of Pinellas County that they may qualify for one or more property tax exemptions, which may result in hundreds of dollars in property tax savings.
But, they must apply by the March 3 deadline. Regular office hours are 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Property owners may also apply online at www.pcpao.org.
Florida offers several property tax benefits for qualified residents:
• Homestead Exemption for a primary residence
• Low Income Senior Exemptions
• Widow/Widower Exemptions
• Disability Exemptions and Exemptions for Blind Persons
• Exemptions for Veterans with a Service Connected Disability (or for his or her surviving spouse)
• Discount for combat wounded Florida Veterans over age 65
• An additional property tax exemption for certain deployed members of the United States military.
Each exemption has its own set of qualifications. For additional information, call the Personal Exemptions Division at 727-464-3294, or visit www.pcpao.org.
Some important facts to remember:
• The homestead exemption automatically renews each year, but not all of the exemptions do.
• If you purchased a property that had a homestead exemption at the time of purchase, that exemption will be removed on December 31, and you will need to apply for your own.
• The deadline to file for a personal exemption for is March 1. However, since March 1 falls on a Saturday this year, the deadline is extended to Monday, March 3.