The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office is set for its eleventh installment of "Operation Medicine Cabinet" Saturday, April 26, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event is being held in conjunction with DEAs National Take Back Day.
Participating police departments include St. Petersburg, Pinellas Park, Clearwater and Kenneth City.
Operation Medicine Cabinet is an opportunity for citizens to discard safely unused or expired prescription medications; and is a multi-agency effort aimed at addressing the problem of prescription drug abuse and keeping a clean environment.
Operation Medicine Cabinet events began in May 2009 and have continued semi-annually. The OMC events, along with OMC's permanent drop-off containers within the community, have collected 18,111.5 pounds of medications to date.
Citizens are invited to stop by any one of the seven locations during the designated times to drop off their unused and expired prescription medications for safe collection and disposal - no questions asked.
Operation Medicine Cabinet is designed to educate the public and raise awareness about the problem of prescription drugs abuse. The problem has reached epidemic proportions, with prescription drugs as the No. 1 abused drug in the United States, surpassing all other illicit drugs.
Please be aware that no bio-hazards or needles will be accepted and that the program is intended for private citizens of Pinellas County and not for commercial use.
South County Locations:
• St. Petersburg Police Department lobby, 1300 First Ave. N.
• St. Pete Beach Rec Center, 7701 Boca Ciega Drive
• Kenneth City Police Department, 600 58th St. N., Kenneth City
Mid County Locations:
• Pinellas Park Police Department, 7700 59th St. N., Pinellas Park
• Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, Admininstration Building - front lot, 10750 Ulmerton Road, Largo
North County Locations:
• Westfield Countryside Mall (between LA Fitness & JC Penney's), 27001 U.S. 19 N., Clearwater
• Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, North District Station - front parking lot, 737 Louden Ave., Dunedin.
As a reminder, drop off sites are not located inside the stores (Westfield) but in the parking lot area. Residents should look for a law enforcement presence at each of the selected drop-off sites.
Also, please be aware that the drop-off containers inside the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office Central Station (Largo) and North District Station (Dunedin) will be temporarily closed during the countywide event.
For more information, call the sheriff’s Public Information Office at 727-582-6221.