Lauren’s Kids specialty license plates are available at Pinellas County Tax Collector’s offices.
CLEARWATER – Employees at the Pinellas County Tax Collector’s Office are teaming up with Lauren’s Kids in April to raise awareness and help prevent childhood sexual abuse.
Lauren’s Kids educates adults and children about sexual abuse topics through in-school curriculum, a 24-hour Crisis Hotline and speaking engagements around the country. Their mission is to prevent sexual abuse through awareness and education, and to help survivors heal with guidance and support.
Did you know?
• There are more than 42 million survivors of sexual abuse in America
• One in three girls are sexually abused before the age of 18
• One in five boys are sexually abused before the age of 18
• One in five children are solicited sexually while on the Internet before the age of 18
• Thirty percent of sexual abuse is never reported
• Nearly 70 percent of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children age 17 and under
• Ninety percent of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way
• Approximately 20 percent of the victims of sexual abuse are under age eight
• Thirty-eight percent of the sexual abusers of boys are female
• Ninety-five percent of sexual abuse is preventable, meaning the most effective prevention happens before a child is harmed
Children are safer when parents and caregivers take the time to teach preventative tactics to their children and become educated about the warning signs of abuse. Parents and caregivers who make a commitment to speak up as soon as they have a concern play a crucial role in a child’s safety.
“I am pleased that my offices can help raise awareness and help prevent childhood sexual abuse,” said Pinellas County Tax Collector Diane Nelson. “It is of the utmost importance to protect our children and Lauren’s Kids is giving a voice to an issue that can be difficult to discuss.”
For more information on Lauren’s Kids visit laurenskids.org. Show support by getting a Lauren’s Kids specialty license plate. Lauren’s Kids plates are available at all Pinellas County Tax Collector offices. For locations and hours visit www.taxcollect.com/about/locations.
If you, your child or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, remember to tell them that it’s OK to tell. Sexual abuse is a crime and it’s important to seek professional help. Call your local law enforcement authorities immediately.