Sept. 29 marks the eighth installment of Operation Medicine Cabinet
Law enforcement agencies throughout Pinellas County are joining to sponsor Operation Medicine Cabinet Saturday, Sept. 29, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at nine drop-off sites.
Citizens are invited to stop by any one of the locations during the designated times to drop off their unused and expired prescription medications for safe collection and disposal - no questions asked.
Sept. 29 marks the eighth installment of the popular event, which is being held in conjunction with Drug Enforcement Agencies National Take Back Day.
Operation Medicine Cabinet is an opportunity for citizens to safely discard unused or expired prescription medications; and is a multi-agency effort aimed at addressing the problem of prescription drug abuse and keeping a clean environment.
Operation Medicine Cabinet events to date, including two in 2009; two in 2010; two in 2011; and one in 2012; along with permanent drop-off containers at the Sheriff’s Administration Building in Largo and North District Station in Dunedin; Treasure Island Police Department and Tarpon Springs Police Department have results in more than 8,600 pounds of medications getting proper disposal.
Operation Medicine Cabinet is designed to educate the public and raise awareness about the problem of prescription drugs abuse. The problem has reached epidemic proportions, with prescription drugs as the number one abused drug in the United States, surpassing all other illicit drugs.
Please be aware that no bio-hazards or needles will be accepted and that the program is intended for private citizens of Pinellas County and not for commercial use. Drop off sites are not located inside the stores but in the parking lot areas. Residents should look for a law enforcement presence at each of the selected drop-off sites.
Locations for the Sept. 29 event are:
South County locations
- Dolphin Village Shopping Center (near Publix), 4655 Gulf Blvd., St. Pete Beach, sponsored by St. Pete Beach Police Department
Walgreens, 5701 22nd Ave. S., Gulfport, sponsored by Gulfport Police Department
- St. Petersburg Police Department, 1300 First Ave. N., St. Petersburg
Mid County Locations
- Walgreens, 7400 66th St., Pinellas Park, sponsored by Pinellas Park Police Department
- Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office, front parking lot, 10750 Ulmerton Road, Largo
- Sweetbay Supermarket, 2460 East Bay Drive, Largo, sponsored by Largo Police Department
North County locations
- Westfield Countryside Mall, between Lifestyle Gym & JC Penney’s, 27001 U.S. Hwy. 19 N., Clearwater, sponsored by Clearwater Police Department
- Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office, North District Station front parking lot, 737 Louden Ave., Dunedin
- Walgreens, 605 South Pinellas Ave., Tarpon Springs, sponsored byTarpon Springs Police Department
For more information, contact the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office public information office at 582-6221.