Tampa Bay Newspapers
9911 Seminole Blvd.,
Seminole, FL 33772
Phone: (727) 397-5563
Fax: (727) 397-5900
Submit News
  
 Search
  9911 Seminole Blvd. Seminole, FL 33772       Ph. 727-397-5563   View TBN's FREE e-Edition today!  
Click here to learn more
Pinellas County Facebook Twitter
Corps awards contract for Pinellas County beach renourishment
Article published on
  Print E-Mail
 
JACKSONVILLE - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Jacksonville District awarded a contract on Sept. 27 to Norfolk Dredging Company, of Chesapeake, Virginia, for nearly $36.6 million, for the Pinellas County Beach Renourishment Project, part of the county’s Storm Protection Project.

Norfolk will renourish critically eroded shoreline in Pinellas using dredge material from Egmont Shoals as well as Johns Pass. The federal project, led by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, in partnership with Pinellas County and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, is cost-shared between the federal government paying 75 percent, with the remaining 25 percent non-federal cost split by the and the state.

“Norfolk has a proven track record working along the Pinellas County shoreline. In 2004, they successfully completed two emergency beach fill projects for the Sunset and Upham beaches, a federal project in partnership with Pinellas County. The feedback we received from residents, city and county staff, was very positive, and we look forward to partnering with them again on this important project,” said Laurel Reichold, Corps project manager. “Beach renourishment protects infrastructure from seasonal storms and hurricanes, supports the economy, preserves wildlife and promotes coastal resilience.”

The work was divided into a base and four options, and the award included the base and two options: A and B.  Construction is expected to begin by late November, with completion scheduled for October of 2018.

The contractor will place approximately 1 million cubic yards of beach-quality sand along the critically eroded shoreline of Sand Key, and approximately 63,000 cubic yards of beach-quality sand on Treasure Island at Sunshine beach.

The Corps and the county are actively investigating Hurricane Irma impacts to determine additional sand placement and funding needs for Sand Key, Sunset Beach on Treasure Island (Option C) and Upham beach on Long Key (Option D).

Project updates will be available on the Jacksonville District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Facebook page: https­://ww­w.fac­ebook­.com/­Jacks­onvil­leDis­trict­/ and on Twitter @JaxStrong.
Article published on
Copyright © Tampa Bay Newspapers: All rights reserved.
Printable Version E-mail article
Featured Print Advertisers
Florida Center for Back & Neck Pain
Dr. Greg Hollstrom
11444 Seminole Blvd.
Largo
(727) 393-6100

Web site        View Ad
:)
Abbey Carpet & Floor of Largo
13120 66th St. N.
Largo
(727) 524-1445

Web site        View Ad
:)
Custom Couture of Tarpon Springs
208 East Tarpon Ave.
Tarpon Springs
(727) 238-7194

Web site        View Ad
:)
Oakhurst & East Bay Medical
13020 Park Blvd., Seminole
(727) 393-3404
3800 East Bay Dr., Largo
(727) 539-0505

Web site        View Ad
:)
Flooring America
9012 Seminole Blvd., Seminole
(727) 397-5509
100 Patricia Ave., Dunedin
(727) 733-1356

Web site        View Ad
:)
Tampa Bay Newspapers
Online Advertising
For information, e-mail
webmaster@tbnweekly.com
:)
Advertisement
Online Services Directory
MEDICAL DIRECTORY   ONLINE DINING GUIDE
MEDICAL DIRECTORY ONLINE DINING GUIDE
AUTOMOTIVE GUIDE REAL ESTATE GUIDE
AUTOMOTIVE GUIDE REAL ESTATE GUIDE
Tampa Bay Newspapers
9911 Seminole Blvd.,
Seminole, FL 33772
Phone: (727) 397-5563
Fax: (727) 397-5900
Submit News