Nine nominees have been named finalists in the 2013-14 Support Employee of the Year recognition program for Pinellas County Schools.
The finalists were selected from a group of 79 nominees. Finalists were chosen in three categories: direct involvement with students (employee spends 75 percent or more of his/her work hours in direct contact with students); indirect involvement with students (employee spends less than 25 percent of his/her work hours in direct contact with students); and limited involvement with students (employee spends little or none of his/her work hours in direct contact with students).
In previous years, a total of 21 semifinalists were chosen. Of those, three in each category advanced as finalists after a second round of judging. This year, in an attempt to streamline the program, three finalists in each category were selected during an initial round of judging. The nine finalists will undergo a second round of judging and a winner will be chosen from each category, as well as an overall winner.
The finalists are as follows:
• Kerry Afflitto, Bayside High School, Clerk II
• Mary MacEwen, 74th Street Elementary, Teacher Assistant
• Renee St. Onge, Brooker Creek Elementary, ESE Associate
• Cathlene Burcham, Career Academies of Seminole, Data Management Technician
• Sandra Frazier, Paul B. Stephens Exceptional Education Center, Cafeteria Manager
• Reginald Rhett, Morgan Fitzgerald Middle, Clerk I
• Karen Barnett, Dunedin Elementary, Family and Community Liaison
• Donna Crosby, PreK-12 Performing Arts, Secretary II
• Carol Syvrud, Forest Lakes Elementary, Transcriber Assistant Visually Impaired
The winner of each category and the overall Support Employee of the Year will be named at a recognition breakfast on Friday, Jan. 17, 2014, at the Feather Sound Country Club. The overall winner will represent Pinellas County Schools at the Florida Department of Education School-Related Employee of the Year program. The Support Employee of the Year recognition program is sponsored by Achieva Credit Union.