BELLEAIR – The town of Belleair has been designated a Florida Certified Local Government.
The CLG Program is a partnership among local governments, the state of Florida and the National Park Service, which designates CLGs through this national historic preservation program.
“The town of Belleair has taken an important step in the preservation of its historic resources by seeking designation as a Certified Local Government,” said Secretary of State Ken Detzner, in a press release. “As a certified local government, the town will create a process for the survey, designation, and protection of its historic resources, and will join a network of 64 other Certified Local Governments around Florida which have made historic preservation a public policy priority.”
The CLG program encourages the direct participation of local governments in the identification, evaluation, registration, and preservation of historic properties within their jurisdictions, and promotes the integration of local preservation interests and concerns into local planning and decision-making processes.
Local governments that participate in the CLG Program act independently to develop and maintain a successful preservation program.
The town of Belleair was incorporated in 1925. Belleair’s history began with the construction of the Belleview Hotel in 1890. Concerns over the preservation of the Biltmore Hotel, built in 1890, and the community’s other historic buildings encouraged the town to adopt a historic preservation ordinance in 2005 and then to seek designation as a Certified Local Government.
The CLG was established in 1980, and is administered by the National Park Service and in Florida by the Division of Historical Resources, Florida Department of State.