CLEARWATER – The Clearwater public library system is offering events and activities to help children and adults start the new year. Upcoming highlights include:
Main Library, 100 N. Osceola Ave.
• Astronomy for everyone: Size and Scale of the Universe – Tuesday, Jan. 22, 6 p.m. Dr. Kevin Manning, astrophysicist and NASA consultant, will present a program on space with videos and hands-on activities. Following the formal presentation, attendees are invited to the library rooftop to view celestial objects in the night sky through a telescope.
• Help! I got an e-reader for the holidays … now what? – Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Computer technicians will be on the third floor of the library all day to help users download books or help with e-readers. No registration is required.
• Winter art showcase (all branches) – Students in grades K to 12 are invited to submit a piece of original two-dimensional art to any Clearwater library branch by Friday, Jan. 25. All art will be showcased at the Clearwater Main Library gallery from Friday, Feb. 1 to Friday, Feb. 22, and all entrants will receive a prize for entering. Entry forms are available at the circulation desks of all branches and online at www.myclearwater.com/cpl.
East Branch library, 2251 Drew St.
• Journaling with Linda Burhans – Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2 p.m. Join Linda Burhans for this monthly series exploring creative ways to keep a personal journal.
Countryside Branch library, 2741 S.R. 580 at Countryside Boulevard
• Your Health is Your Wealth – Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2 p.m. Pamela Seefeld, R.Ph., clinical alternative pharmacist, discusses ways to improve health with natural pharmaceuticals.
• Shingles: Causes and treatment – Wednesday, Jan. 23, noon. Learn about the treatment and prevention of shingles, including a vaccine that protects adults who may be at risk.
• Tim Dorsey book signing – Sunday, Jan. 27, 2 p.m. Author Tim Dorsey will talk about his new book, Riptide Ultraglide. Copies of the book and merchandise from the novel series will be available.
North Greenwood Branch, 905 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave.
• Do it Yourself Crafts – Wednesday, Jan. 30, 4:30 p.m. Children are invited to make a crafty masterpiece in a fun atmosphere.
Beach Branch, 69 Bay Esplanade
• Clearwater Beach Shell Crafters Club – Thursday, Jan. 24, 1 p.m. The club, sponsored in part by Beach Friends of the Library, gets together to create shell crafts such as photo frames, wreaths, wall plaques, and other crafts using shells found on the beach. To join, call 447-5882.