DUNEDIN - Dunedin firefighters responded to a structure fire on Wednesday, April 22, 8:34 a.m., at Lake Highlander Mobile Home Park on County Road One.
According to a report from the fire department, when firefighters arrived they found light smoke in the kitchen area of a mobile home. The fire, which was contained to the kitchen area, was partially extinguished.
The occupant, an 83-year-old female was outside. She was treated at the scene and transported to Mease Dunedin Hospital.
The unidentified woman told firefighters that she had smelled smoke and then saw fire in the area of the microwave oven. The fire was isolated to the kitchen counter and cabinet area of the structure, the report said.
Dunedin Fire Marshal Bill McElligott determined the fire was caused by improperly disposed smoking materials in contact with combustibles. Damage was estimated at $350 and the woman will be able to reoccupy the structure following hospital treatment, the report said.
There were no fire service injuries and Dunedin firefighters were on the scene with three units.
This fire is a classic example of a fire in which injury and damage could have been averted or minimized with a properly placed working smoke alarm, the report said. Firefighters installed a smoke alarm in the structure prior to leaving.