DUNEDIN - Dunedin firefighters responded to a house fire at 7:35 a.m. Saturday, May 9, at 2608áColony Drive.
According to a report from the fire department, when firefighters arrived at the single family home, they foundásmoke coming from the attic area. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was located in the attic above the bathroom ceiling area, by cutting an access in the roof.
Prior to firefighters arrival the occupant was evacuated from the house by neighbors who saw the smoke and pounded on the door awakening the occupant, who was identified as a juvenile.
Firefighters were able to secure a cat and dog which were in the structure to a safe area The fire was isolated to the attic and bathroom area and structural damage was estimated at $1,500 .Electrical service to the house was disconnected due to the compromised electrical wiring in the attic .
Dunedin Fire Marshal Bill McElligott determined the fire was electrical in origin and started in a bathroom ceiling vent fan.
No injuries were reported.
Dunedin Fire Department responded with three units and was assisted by units from Clearwater Fire Department.