PALM HARBOR – An 11-year-old boy suffered burns from hot grease after a pan caught fire about 11:24 a.m. Sunday at a residence on Talley Drive in Palm Harbor.
According to investigators with the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office, the grease fire started in the kitchen and is not suspicious in nature.
Ashley Brown, 30, her brother, Dennis Brown, 28, and Ashley’s 11-year-old son was home at the time of the fire. She was cooking chicken in grease on the stove when the pan caught fire. She unsuccessfully tried to put out the fire and then attempted taking the pan outside the home.
He son, Cody Smith, was standing at the edge of the sidewalk near the doorway. Grease from the pan spilled on the boy, causing second and third degree burns to various areas of his body. He was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. No other injuries were reported.