Tampa Bay Newspapers
9911 Seminole Blvd.,
Seminole, FL 33772
Phone: (727) 397-5563
Fax: (727) 397-5900
Submit News
  
 Search
  9911 Seminole Blvd. Seminole, FL 33772       Ph. 727-397-5563   View TBN's FREE e-Edition today!  
Click here to learn more
Pinellas Park Beacon
City council expected to vote on proposed budget
Article published on
  Print E-Mail
 
PINELLAS PARK – The City Council Aug. 25 was to vote after a first public hearing on the adoption of the $111 million fiscal budget, with a second and final public hearing scheduled for Sept. 8.

The overall city taxable property value has increased by $278.6 million. The city annually receives about one half of one percent in property tax revenue for every dollar in taxable property value.

Dan Katsiyiannis, management and budget administrator, said although the millage rate remains the same, the city’s property taxes will increase by 8.7 percent or about 1.7 percent of the total tax bill due to the increased cost of doing business.

The city will maintain the same millage rate of 5.07 per $1,000 for the eighth year in a row.

It’s no secret that property values have escalated dramatically in the last two years. Homes that sold for $75,000 in 2002 today exceed $110,000 and more.

“This is a solid budget without frills,” Katsiyiannis said. “The budget rose primarily due to employee merit, health insurance, workers’ compensation, property insurance, fuel costs, electric and water and other increases.”

The $278.6 million expected increase in taxable property value brings the overall taxable property value to about $2.8 billion. A major component of the increase in taxable property value is new construction and annexed properties, which were in total $55.8 million or 2.2 percent of the 2004 total taxable valuations.

Katsiyiannis said a typical total property tax bill of $2,579 is based on a home assessed at $125,000, less a $25,000 homestead exemption.

“The city doesn’t get all the tax revenues indicated on the property appraiser’s TRIM notice,” Katsiyiannis said. ”We get only 20 percent with the county, school system, water management, juvenile welfare, transit authority and others getting the other 80 percent.”

Katsiyiannis said actual overall expenditures for such things as water and sewer, community redevelopment and other expenditures increased by 5.9 percent over the current year.

“The city’s share of the property tax revenue estimated at $13.732,246 is not sufficient to pay for the costs of police and fire services of $18,452,824,” Katsiyiannis said. “The remaining $4,720,570 will be funded by other revenues such as code enforcement fines, licenses, liquor taxes and recreational fees.”

Commercial and industrial taxpayers pay about 52 percent of the total property taxes in the city.

“That is why it’s so important to attract new business to the city,” Katsiyiannis said. “Otherwise residential taxpayers would be paying more.”

On the top of the list of the 10 largest taxpayers is Verizon with taxable property value of $31.1 million. The second and third largest, respectively, are Transitions Optical, Inc. with taxable property values of $19.8 million and Progress Energy at $19.1 million.

The remaining largest taxpayers are SP-Port Chester Apartments, Cardinal Health Care 409 Inc., Wal-Mart, Scherer Corp., Gateway Business Centre, HKH-1 Ltd. and Shoppes at Park Place, city officials said.

Katsiyiannis said the proposed budget will pay for the costs for employee raises in accordance with the union agreements, health insurance, workmen’s compensation, fuel costs and other expenses.
Article published on
Copyright © Tampa Bay Newspapers: All rights reserved.
Printable Version E-mail article
NuSmile
Featured Print Advertisers
Oakhurst & East Bay Medical
13020 Park Blvd., Seminole
(727) 393-3404
3800 East Bay Dr., Largo
(727) 539-0505

Web site        View Ad
:)
Aqua Prime
213 Gulf Blvd.
Indian Rocks Beach
(727) 330-7724

Web site        View Ad
:)
Florida Center for Back & Neck Pain
Dr. Greg Hollstrom
11444 Seminole Blvd.
Largo
(727) 393-6100

Web site        View Ad
:)
Flooring America of Seminole
9012 Seminole Blvd.
Seminole
(727) 397-5509

Web site        View Ad
:)
Custom Couture of Clearwater
(727) 735-8407
By appointment please.

Web site        View Ad
:)
Abbey Carpet & Floor of Largo
13120 66th St. N.
Largo
(727) 524-1445

Web site        View Ad
:)
NuSmile Dental
13611 Park Blvd., Suite G
Seminole
(727) 475-7866

Web site        View Ad
:)
Tampa Bay Newspapers
Online Advertising
For information, e-mail
webmaster@tbnweekly.com
:)
Online Services Directory
MEDICAL DIRECTORY   ONLINE DINING GUIDE
MEDICAL DIRECTORY ONLINE DINING GUIDE
AUTOMOTIVE GUIDE REAL ESTATE GUIDE
AUTOMOTIVE GUIDE REAL ESTATE GUIDE
Community Focus Online
Tampa Bay Newspapers
9911 Seminole Blvd.,
Seminole, FL 33772
Phone: (727) 397-5563
Fax: (727) 397-5900
Submit News