SEMINOLE – The Eighth Annual Music in the Park series is waiting in the wings to begin Friday, Sept. 10, with live music, fun and refreshments. This free community event offers concerts for six consecutive Friday nights until Oct. 15.
As in the past, the concert series site will be Seminole City Park from 7 to 9 p.m.
“We have some great entertainment lined up,” said Barb Nickse, committee member along with Jim Sheets, Steve Malla, and Chuck Oldanie.
According to Nickse, young teens will get into the swing for the first time this year.
“The library and recreation teen board members will be at the park to sell T-shirts,” said Nickse.
Another first this year is that Music in the Park shirts will be sold to the public.
The entertainment schedule includes:
• Sept. 10 – The Porchdogs (Cajun Zydeco) Presented by Freedom Square Vice Mayor Jimmy Johnson will kick-off the concert.
• Sept. 17 – Gypsy Wind (Bluegrass) Presented by Waste Management of Pinellas Inc.
• Sept. 24 – Wiley Fox (country) Presented by Lake Seminole Square
• Oct. 1 – The Tom Kats (Oldies Rock ’n’ Roll) Presented by State Farm Insurance, agent Mark Higgins
• Oct. 8 – Suzette Jennings (R&B/Jazz) Presented by Keller Williams Gulf Coast Realty
• Oct. 15 – T.C. Carr & Friends (blues) Presented by Seminole Lake Rotary Club.
“I would like to extend a special thanks to our six presenting sponsors for the series,” said Jim Sheets, recreation director. “Without them, we wouldn’t be able to offer the quality of entertainment in the series that we do.”
So far, the series has 19 sponsors but is still looking for other businesses to jump on the bandwagon.
Visitors should plan on bringing their own lawn chairs or blankets for extra-comfort under the stars. As is tradition, food and beverages will be for sale by the local fire rescue union. Even children can get into the act with the playground open for fun. But remember that alcoholic beverages and glass containers should be left at home.
As a kick-off for the series, prior to the Sept. 10 Porchdogs concert, the committee and members of the Greater Seminole Area Chamber of Commerce are hosting a “Meet and Greet” for all the sponsors, like Bright House Networks, Eva and Charlie Jones, and First Home Bank, to name a few.
“We invite all the sponsors to join us,” said Nickse.
Call Steve Malla, recreation program coordinator, at 391-8345.