A number of new movies will hit theaters this week, including the following films opening in wide release:
- Genre: Fantasy and family
- Cast: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott, Marwan Kenzari, Navid Negahban, Nasim Pedrad, Billy Magnussen and Numan Acar
- Director: Guy Ritchie
- Rated: PG
A thrilling and vibrant live-action adaptation of Disney’s animated classic, “Aladdin” is the exciting tale of the charming street rat Aladdin, the courageous and self-determined Princess Jasmine and the Genie who may be the key to their future.
The 1992 animated film starred Robin Williams and featured such memorable songs as the Oscar®-winning “A Whole New World” and “Friend like Me.” The film grossed more than $502 million at the global box office, which led to successful stage productions on Broadway and abroad as well as a North American touring company.
- Genre: Horror
- Cast: Elizabeth Banks, Jackson Dunn, David Denman, Meredith Hagner and Matthew F. Jones
- Director: David Yarovesky
- Rated: R
What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?
With “Brightburn,” the visionary filmmaker behind “Guardians of the Galaxy” and ”Slither” presents a startling, subversive take on a radical new genre: superhero horror.
- Genre: Comedy
- Cast: Beanie Feldstein, Kaitlyn Dever, Jessica Williams, Will Forte, Jason Sudeikis, Lisa Kudrow, Mike O’Brien, Molly Gordon, Billie Lourd, Skyler Gisondo, Noah Galvin, Diana Silvers, Mason Gooding, Victoria Ruesga, Austin Crute, Eduardo Franco and Nico Hiraga
- Director: Olivia Wilde
- Rated: R
Best friends and academic overachievers Amy (Kaitlyn Dever) and Molly (Beanie Feldstein) thought keeping their noses to the grindstone gave them a leg up over their play-minded peers.
But, on the eve of their graduation, these type-A ride-or-dies get a hardcore reality check and realize they may have missed out. Determined to make up for lost time, they decide to cram four years of not-to-be missed fun into one night — a chaotic adventure no amount of book smarts could prepare them for.
The following will open in limited release. It may be several weeks before these films appear in local movie theaters.
- Genre: Thriller and horror
- Cast: Allison Williams, Logan Browning, Alaina Huffman and Steven Weber
- Director: Richard Shepard
- Not rated
The most buzzed-about movie at last year’s Fantastic Fest, “The Perfection” is an elegant and terrifying suspense ride filled with unexpected twists and turns.
When troubled musical prodigy Charlotte (Allison Williams) seeks out Elizabeth (Logan Browning), the new star pupil of her former school, the encounter sends both musicians down a sinister path with shocking consequences. “The Perfection” debuts May 24 on Netflix.