Motorcyclist shoots ‘angry, intoxicated’ man after confrontation

Largo police say a motorcyclist shot a man during a confrontation that occurred just before 10 p.m. May 30 on 16th Street Northwest in Largo.

LARGO — Police are investigating a shooting that occurred just before 10 p.m. May 30 on 16th Street Northwest in Largo.

Largo police detectives say a 21-year-old motorcyclist was on his way home, traveling southbound on 16th Street Northwest when he was confronted by an angry, intoxicated man in the street, waving his arms and yelling.

The motorcyclist, who was wearing a full-faced helmet, said he could not hear what the man was saying. So, he turned around to talk to the man, who he estimated to be in his 40s, and was reportedly much taller and larger.

Police say the man became aggressive and punched the motorcyclist through the open visor of his helmet, leaving a contusion on his face. The motorcycle fell over, briefly trapping the motorcyclist under it. The man came around the motorcycle and the motorcyclist thought he would be attacked again.

The motorcyclist got up and began backing away on foot from the man, according to police. The motorcyclist warned the man that he had a gun and a concealed carry permit. Police say he asked the man to stop moving toward him.

Police say the man moved his hand under his vest at his waistline, and the motorcyclist, who had his gun in a holster at the small of his back, thought the man was reaching for a weapon. Witnesses say the motorcyclist backed away about 20 to 30 yards, telling the man multiple times that he did not want to shoot him.

The man then made a movement that the motorcyclist felt was an attack or lunge toward him, police say. The motorcyclist fired his gun three times, striking the man in each arm and once to the torso.

Police say the man was wearing a belt sheath for a six-inch fixed blade knife. The knife itself was found on the ground at the scene. The motorcyclist said he did not see the knife.

The motorcyclist was cooperative with detectives. The man is in serious condition at Bayfront Medical Center.

Police say the case is still an active investigation. No names are being released and no one is in custody.